The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Campaign Organization (PPCO) has condemned Saturday’s raid on the Abuja residence of two sons of the party’s presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had raided the residence of Aliyu and Mustapha Abukakar early Saturday morning, an action the PDP described as vicious, outrageous, dirty and reprehensible.
A statement Monday by the spokesman for the PDP Campaign, Kola Ologbondiyan, said the operatives of the EFCC unleashed violence on the home of Atiku’s sons while the young men were away.
Tye statement said, “The invasion of Aliyu and Mustapha Abubakar’s home, even in their absence, allegedly in search of imaginary cache of foreign currency, has further exposed how depraved the Buhari Presidency has descended in the desperate plot to harm, traumatize and malign the character of our presidential candidate and his family, having realised that Nigerians have aligned behind him as the next President of our country.
“It is indeed appalling that the Buhari Presidency can now go as low as engaging in wicked politics of chasing after family members of a presidential candidate, who are neither government officials, government contractors nor involved in any underhand dealings, but young students pursuing their legitimate personal educational careers without ill will to anybody.
“While nothing incriminating was found in the apartment, the PPCO has been made aware of how the squad, said to be acting on ‘orders from above’ ransacked the house and destroyed valuables belonging to Atiku’s children and we demand an explanation from the leadership of the EFCC.
“Only last month, a special security squad of army, police and paramilitary agencies was unleashed to physically harass our presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, at the Abuja airport, upon his return from Dubai
“Similarly, last week, all transactions in bank accounts belonging to PDP Vice Presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, his wife, his family members and their businesses were stopped by agencies of the Buhari Presidency on account of imaginary investigation.
“Nigerians are already aware of how opposition leaders and others perceived to be averse to the President Buhari’s re-election bid, on account of his woeful performance in office, are being blackmailed and framed up with spurious charges.
“President Buhari should note that, as an opposition presidential candidate from 2003 to 2015, none of his children or family members were in anyway attacked or victimized by the government in power. He should stop importing such vicious underhand tactics into our political hemisphere.
“Finally, the PPCO counsels the APC and the Buhari Presidency to come to terms with the fact that Nigerians have moved beyond them and that no amount of intimidation, harassment or attack on our candidates, leaders and their families will stop Nigerians from voting them out of office, come 2019 and electing our candidate, Atiku Abubakar”.
News6 days ago
UPDATED: Borno deputy governor’s convoy in auto crash, 4 dead
Politics3 days ago
In Kaduna, I know that some Christians won’t vote for me even if Pope is my running mate – Gov El-Rufai
News3 days ago
Can Ganduje fail to trust someone to take ‘the dollars’ to him – Buhari asks Moderator, Kadriah Ahmed on Kano gov bribe-taking video
Politics6 days ago
U.S., Europe may stop giving visa to Nigerian elite, politicians from tomorrow until after elections – INEC
Politics12 hours ago
BREAKING: Buhari explains his absence at debate, but queried why Atiku ‘ran away’
News5 days ago
Buhari appoints AIG Abubakar Adamu as new IGP
News2 days ago
Buhari has stopped functioning well since his return from London medical trip, can’t even recognize his aides – Pastor Giwa
News7 days ago
Onnogen: Buhari did not ask CJN to resign, says Ojudu