Connect with us

News

Death toll in Borno’s Boko Haram attack on mourners reaches 60 as Gov. Zulum restates commitment to security of citizens

Published

on

Borno State governor, Babagana Umara Zulum has reiterated his commitment to supporting security agencies to protect lives and property in the state.

Zulums stated this on Sunday when he visited Gajiram, headquarters of Nganzai local government area of the state, to commiserate with the people over the murder of 60 villagers by Boko Haram insurgents.

Daily Correspondents had earlier reported that Boko Haram gunmen on motorbikes on Saturday killed 23 mourners as they walked back from a funeral in Nganzai district near the state capital Maiduguri, Borno State.

While condemning the attack, Zulum called on the people to be vigilante and cooperate with security agencies in their communities.

He said that the state government would not relent until permanent peace was restored to the state.

He prayed for the repose of the souls of the deceased and grant the families the fortitude to bear the loss.

The governor also visited Specialists’ Hospital Maiduguri, and sympathised with persons who sustained injuries in the attack.

Death toll now 60

Mr Muhammad Bulama, the Chairman of the council, told newsmen that the insurgents attacked Badu village and killed over 60 persons, while 11 others were wounded.

“Two weeks ago, Boko Haram insurgents attacked Badu village but the attack was repelled by the villagers and members of the vigilante group.

“The villagers resisted the attack, killed 11 insurgents and recovered 10 AK-47 rifles in the encounter.

“On Saturday at about 11:40 am, the insurgents came on a reprisal mission, attacking mourners at a grave yard in the area, killing over 60 persons and injuring 11 others,” Bulama said.

He added that the wounded had been taken to the Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri, for treatment.

Efforts to get reactions from the military on the attack proved abortive, as the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Operation Lafiya Dole, Col. Ado Isa, did not respond to inquiries sent to him through Short Service Message (SMS).

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending