Scores of Boko Haram fighters on Wednesday night stormed two local government areas in Borno state, killing a yet to be quantified number of persons while also setting ablaze the Council Secretariat in Magumeri, other public structures and residential houses including that of the Member Federal House of Representatives of Gubio, Magumeri and Kaga Federal Constituency, Hon. Usman Zannah.
Speaking to our correspondent on Thursday Morning, Hon. Zannah who represent the constituency at the lower chamber said, “Two Local Government Areas of Gubio and Magumeri where I hail from have been overrun by Boko Haram.
“As I speak, all good houses in Gubio and Magumeri have been set ablaze including my House and the Council Secretariat. My people have been displaced, and there is nothing we can do than to bring survivors into Maiduguri.
“It is unfortunate that the insurgents took advantage of troops withdrawal from the affected areas and wrecked havoc without confrontation,” he said.
Also speaking on the incident, the Caretaker Chairman of Gubio, Hon Zanna Modu Gubio said, the insurgents stormed Gubio town at about 6pm, performed their magrib prayers at about 6:30pm and wrecked havoc on innocent civilians while setting ablaze houses and public structures.
The Caretaker Chairman who spoke to our Correspondent while in Maiduguri during the attack said, “It is unfortunate that a week after deadly attack which took place in Gubio that led to the withdrawal of troops, another armed insurgents stormed Gubio town at about 6pm, performed their magrib prayers at about 6:30pm in Gubio Mosque before wrecked havoc on innocent civilians with setting ablaze of houses and public structures.
“I am presently in Maiduguri for the swearing in Ceremony of the newly appointed Commissioners, and all of a sudden, I started receiving distress calls that my people are under dress Boko Haram attack.
“Although, I cannot give you the actual number of casualties for now, but from all indications and the reports I have so far, the insurgents have taken over Gubio shooting at sight and burning structures without confrontation.” Gubio lamented.
Daily Correspondents report that both Gubio and Magumeri have no military presence as troops were withdrawn recently for routine operational changes as enshrined in the Rules of Engagement.